01/23/02 - 13:16:01
IP: 184.108.40.206 Browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Q312461)
OK team lets lookee this thing here.|
On the positive side I love the positive stuff and ideas etc. I can see plenty of thought has gone into it and that isd great and appreciated.
I wanted to sleep on in as some dark thoughts were invading my enthusiasm.
I feel a bit like a parent whose teenage rocknrolling son has asked me for some money so he can keep on the road¡K
Who¡¦d¡¦ve thought my fave rock band would be asking me for a whipround ƒº
$100 ¡V that¡¦s 2 night midweek playing piano in a bar for me¡K
Sorry to be selfish but for 2 days work out of my life lets look what I¡¦ll get? I will voice some of the dark thoughts I have below, and some areas to seek clarification.
1. First, membership will be limited to 500, due to the
nature of the treasures we shall manufacture & distribute to members
So if you are producing some of your best stuff ie PERRO only 500 people in the world are gonna hear it ¡V is that wise?
$100 annually ? $50,000 a year? 500CDs cost less than 1000 bucks ¡V 3 of those = 3000bucks ¡V what happens to the rest of the 47,000?
2. These shall include tour laminates for free access to shows
Does this mean backstage passes or actual free tickets to shows? The latter would be OK except JS will only play once in the UK. The former aint much to me ¡V backstage is not so much fun, and I doubt we¡¦ll really stop Paul from coming out front to meet people anyhow¡K
- Cut to scene ¡V new fan at 1st JS gig sees folks going back stage ¡V ¡§Who are they?¡¨ s/he asks ¡V ¡§Oh, they¡¦re Society folks¡¨ , ¡§Can I be one?¡¨ ¡V Nope it costs 100bucks and they got 500 already so yer gonna hafta wait til one of them dies kid,¡K.hahahahah¡¨ echos off ¡K I don¡¦t see that really.
Cut to another scene, backstage
PK ¡V nice gig Diana
DM ¡V Thanks Paul ¡V I¡¦m really tired tonight tho
PK ¡V Oh no you don¡¦t ¡V you gotts meet those Society fans
DM ¡V OH NO!!! Not that Christo again !¡Kand the other weirdos
PK ¡V We hafta ¡V they paid their money
I don¡¦t see that either
3. a signed first edition of Paul's serialized "PERRO"
Again I assume I¡¦ll actually GET this and not just ¡§get a chance to buy it¡¨ right? The book will be downloadable on the web anyhow, right?
4. PERRO ¡V I thought I¡¦d signed up to buy a copy already. I havta pay $100 now? ¡V again ¡V one of the best Kantner albums consigned to 500 folks only ¡V is that good for the music? PERRO ¡¦71 is a pleasant jam, I¡¦ve heard the tapae ¡V not crucial to me ¡V Baron T outtakes ¡V curiousity perhaps ¡V no more
5. We shall also hold two special 'get togethers' with Paul, Marty & the band - one on
the East Coast, one on the West Coast
I would hate to think of them meeting us coz we¡¦ve paid our money. No use to me in the UK really.
6. Chatroom ¡V
I thought the idea of a chatroom wasn¡¦t well received on the board ¡V another message board perhaps¡KA chatroom could be set up for free at any of the places that do it like Talk City etc¡V that doesn¡¦t count as being part of the 100bucks surely?
7. The Society shall be steered by The Gang of Five ... consisting of Paul
Kantner (SF), Michael Gaiman (LA), Jerry Moore (NY), Keith Rice (UK),
Please don¡¦t get me wrong ¡V I REALLY appreciate MC and WM and others efforts on behalf of JS, but with the best will in the world the record of merchandising during the TNG years haven¡¦t been stunning. No buttons, posters, and until recently at CIA no shirts etc. You guys are confident you can do it all? If little or nothing happens do we get our money back? What if someone quits? Or if Marty or anyone quits ¡V it has happened before. It needs thinking thru for the members¡K
On a different slant ¡V are funds that tight?
Where does the above scheme win over subscription CDs ¡V ie ¡V we wanna make PERRO on CD ¡V how many of ya wanna copy? Send 20bucks ¡V 500 of ya? ¡V great we¡¦ll print that many etc etc.
I feel as a fan I¡¦ve paid a good amount already ¡V 30 Jefferson and related CDs, plus the vinyl before that, and I saw a show when I could.
Hate to hit such a negative slant and rain on yer parade but this is how it seemed after a nights sleep ¡V I¡¦m still thinking on it¡K
Its just the pay us 100bucks and you can meet the band and get a few disks doesn¡¦t really seem in keeping with Jeffersonish ideas. The music should be available to as many as possible ¡V limiting it seems short sighted.
OK back to thinking¡K
For Further Reading
Jefferson Starship Message Board Main